The 18th International GCxGC Symposium was originally scheduled to be a combined face-to-face meeting with the 44th International Symposium on Capillary Chromatography. However, the COVID-19 pandemic has prevented us from meeting in person for a second consecutive year. The Scientific and Organization Committees for the GCxGC Symposium met in early January to assess the possibility of an online meeting, and after many deliberations have decided to organize this meeting for the week of June 7-11 2021.
The meeting will strive to provide the same level of scientific content that is typically expected at this venue, and will comprise of the following components:
1) The Scientific Achievement Awards for 2020 and 2021. These awards recognize experienced leaders in GCxGC with a sustained record of achievement in the field.
2) The John B. Phillips Awards for 2020 and 2021. These awards recognize the leadership and excellent scientific output of younger scientists that are exploring new frontiers of the technology.
3) 36 invited lectures in 6 topic areas (chemometrics, foodomics, forensics/environmental, instrument development, metabolomics/bioanalytical, and petroleomics).
4) A discussion session on the state of field on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of the invention of GCxGC.
5) A "Burst Session" that will involve six parallel virtual rooms (based on the topic areas listed above) in which 6 investigators will discuss their recent GCxGC research. The top 3 student researchers in these sessions will be recognized at the end of the symposium through the Richard Sacks Awards for best student presentations. Details of these parallel sessions will be forthcoming.
It is our hope that attendees from around the world will mark this event on their calendar to participate in the discussion of ideas and exchanges of viewpoints that we have come to expect from the GCxGC Symposium. Even though we need to adapt to the unfamiliar conditions of the virtual conference platform that have been imposed by the ongoing pandemic, we are confident that our shared interest in GCxGC advances and perspectives will lead us to heavily participate in this meeting. We look forward to seeing you all in June!
The Scientific and Organization Committees of the GCxGC Symposium.